Welcome to my blog! I’m so glad you found my little corner of the internet. Keep reading to find out what you can expect to find on my website.
What is this Blog About?
Hi! My name is Brittany and I am the writer, editor and photographer behind this blog. My blog focuses on urban explorations, outdoor adventures, healthy eating and recipes, conscious and natural living, unique and authentic experiences, and off the beaten path/independent/responsible travel. My goal is to inspire you to get outdoors, explore new places both locally in your hometown and abroad, venture off the beaten path, travel deeply and responsibly and help you plan your next adventure through sharing my tips, detailed travel guides, in-depth reviews, stories, and photography from my experiences and travels.
I started this website because I wanted a place where I could document my travel adventures and local explorations so that I could look back on all of the memories that I created. I also hope that through sharing my experiences, you will find the information you need to plan your adventures and feel inspired to break out of your comfort zone, live life to its fullest and explore more.
My mission with this blog is for it to be a source of information (through sharing in-depth articles, reviews, detailed travel guides, along with tips and recommendations from my personal experiences) and inspiration (through sharing my photography and stories from my experiences) for those who are looking to get more out of life, go on more adventures, start taking care of their body and living healthily and naturally, and seek unique and authentic experiences wherever you go. I want to show you that traveling is accessible for many people (it is not just a luxury activity reserved for those with lots of money) and can be done even for those on a budget and who work full-time jobs and that living healthy doesn’t have to be expensive. I want to dispel myths that traveling solo and off the beaten path is inherently dangerous and debunk inaccurate perceptions that the public often holds about certain places. I want to inspire you to explore more locally in your hometown and discover hidden gems. I want to inspire you to consider the impact of your actions and purchases on local communities and show you how to travel and live more responsibly and consciously. And I want to show you that you can adventure anywhere and find unique and meaningful experiences wherever you go. I will share with you stories, travel guides, photography, reviews, recipes and more from my travel adventures, local explorations and experiences and healthy lifestyle.
I live near a small town in the heart of the Canadian prairies and am a part-time traveler who enjoys traveling independently and responsibly, off the beaten path explorer, amateur photographer, plant-based and gluten-free eater, healthy lifestyler, introvert, and local adventurer. Firstly, I love traveling independently; exploring in-depth and off the beaten path; and having unique and meaningful experiences. Secondly, I enjoy documenting my explorations through writing and photography and then sharing them here. This blog serves as a collection of my travel stories, local explorations, favourite healthy, simple, gluten-free and plant-based recipes, travel guides, reviews, experiences and photography. If you would like to know more about me and my story, click here.
BrittanyMThiessen.com is a personal blog with a focus on travel (adventure, off the beaten path, culture, budget, independent/solo female and socially conscious/responsible), food (restaurant reviews, vegetarian/gluten-free city guides, my own simple and healthy recipes and foreign cuisines), and photography. I created this website on April 19, 2016 and I write about my travel adventures, off the beaten path explorations, local wanderings and experiences; simple, plant-based and gluten-free recipes; various topics related to solo, independent and deeper travel, healthy and natural living, photography and more.
On this blog, I document my travel adventures, local explorations in my home province of Manitoba (Canada), and life experiences through sharing my stories, observations, challenges, recommendations/tips, and photography.
Twrite in-depth travel guides, detailed reviews (accommodations, restaurants, products/gear/gadgets, tour/activities), articles with practical information while also weaving in my journal-style reflections and stories from my experiences, articles and reflections about culture, ethnic cuisines/foods, travel tips (packing, safety, travel research and planning, solo female travel), perceptions and misconceptions about destinations, responsible and independent travel, and off the beaten path explorations; and inspire healthy and natural living through sharing my favourite simple, gluten-free and plant-based recipes. This blog is my creative outlet for my writing and photography. I love exploring further in my home province of Manitoba and in addition to writing about my travels abroad, I will share photos and articles about my urban and outdoor adventures in my own backyard, while discovering hidden gems.
I desire for this blog to be an online resource focused on responsible, independent and off the beaten path explorations; urban and outdoor explorations within my hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; authentic and unique adventures and meaningful experiences, for those who are planning and researching their travels (through providing detailed travel guides and information, in-depth reviews, stories and reflections from my experiences and travels, as well as various other travel tips and recommendations), focused on exploring deeper and discovering hidden gems in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (through sharing my experiences and photography from my local wanderings), and also focused on healthy and natural living (through providing my favourite simple and plant-based recipes). I also desire for this blog to provide inspiration to you, the reader, to travel deeper, independently and responsibly, explore more locally in your hometown, eat well, live naturally and simply, venture off the beaten tourist path to discover hidden local treasures, learn about the culture, history and foods of the destinations you visit, to see countries and cities from a different and unique perspective, and to step outside of your comfort zone.
I am fascinated by the culture, cuisine, history and people in Latin American countries and my travels abroad will primarily be focused in those countries, in addition to exploring new places within Canada and the United States.
This Blog Is…
- A Resource – This blog will serve as a resource for those who are researching and planning their future travel adventures, through providing detailed travel guides, reviews, and helpful tips. I love sharing my knowledge and experiences in order to help others travel deeper, independently and responsibly and getting off the beaten path. This blog is also a resource for those who live in or are planning to visit the province of Manitoba in Canada. I love exploring new places and discovering hidden gems where I live and will share my experiences and photography.
- A Journal – This blog acts as a journal for documenting my travel adventures, local explorations, and life experiences in writing and through my photography. I want this blog to be a place where I can look back on my past experiences and relive the incredible memories and variety of emotions during those times.
- An Inspiration – My hope is that this blog provides inspiration to those introverts out there with a desire to travel solo; for those who have a full-time job and believe that they can’t travel often; for those who want to get off the beaten path and explore deeper but aren’t sure how to do so; for those who aren’t sure where to begin with their travel planning and research; and for those who want to discover more in their hometowns. I also hope that my blog inspires you to live and eat healthily and naturally; embrace minimalism and simple living; prioritize experiences over material possessions; and to live a life that is fulfilling and meaningful and that provides you with a sense of purpose and direction. I want you to come away from this blog feeling inspired to travel deeper and independently, explore off the beaten path, taste new foods, seek meaningful experiences and authentic local adventures, learn about the culture and history of your destination, and to overcome the barriers, challenges and fears of travel.
The Purpose of This Blog:
- To document my travel adventures, life experiences, outdoor adventures, off the beaten path explorations and local wanderings in writing and photography, in order to capture the atmospheres and emotions that I experienced while allowing me to be able to relive these incredible memories well into the future. I love to explore my hometown of Winnipeg, Canada and beyond.
- To help people research and plan their own travel adventures by providing practical and detailed information about the places I visit and explore, in-depth guides, tips and recommendations from my personal experiences while visiting destinations.
- To inspire everyday adventures, exploring deeper and off the beaten path, and discovering local gems wherever you are – both in your hometown and while traveling abroad.
- To inspire people to prioritize and pursue experiences and adventures over accumulating more material possessions.
- To inspire people to eat and live healthily and naturally through sharing my favourite simple, plant-based and gluten-free recipes using mostly fresh, organic and whole ingredients, and through sharing my favourite natural health and personal care products.
- To promote and inspire responsible, mindful and socially conscious exploring and deeper travel.
- To inspire people to seek meaningful experiences and authentic cultural adventures wherever they go.
- To encourage and promote solo female and independent travel.
- To inspire and empower other introverted women to develop the courage to explore solo.
- To inspire people to have a desire to learn more about their travel destination’s culture, language, history, traditions and customs through pre-travel research and immersive travel, while connecting with a place through the local people.
- To inspire people to venture off the beaten path and explore beyond the main tourist areas and attractions.
- To create informative, helpful and inspiring content while sharing beautiful photography.
- To shift peoples’ perceptions and debunk negative myths and misconceptions about certain destinations by showcasing the place’s natural beauty, culture, history, people and through sharing my experiences, stories and photos.
- Travel – I document my own travel adventures, unique and authentic experiences, off the beaten path explorations, outdoor adventures, and local wanderings through sharing my stories, reflections, in-depth travel guides, reviews, and photography from the places I have visited and explored; and I write articles about responsible and socially conscious travel, culture, food, independent and solo female travel, travel tips (safety, packing, travel research and planning), the cost of travel, perceptions and misconceptions about destinations, traveling deeper and off the beaten path while seeking authentic and unique adventures and meaningful experiences, and how to explore locally in your hometown and like a local while abroad. I also feature photography and share my experiences while exploring deeper in my home province of Manitoba, Canada.
- Food – I share recipes for my favourite simple, plant-based and gluten-free meals and snacks; restaurant reviews; and write about ethnic cuisines and foods.
- Lifestyle – I share personal stories, reflections and musings about my life in general, blogging, travel, and other topics that don’t fit into any of the other categories.
- Photography – I share photo essays from my local explorations and discoveries in my home province of Manitoba in addition to my adventures and experiences while traveling. My favourite photography subjects are landscapes, nature, street art, modern and historic architecture, and urban street scenes.
Types of Posts:
- Travel Guides – I enjoy writing in-depth guides for places I have traveled to and explored, that include detailed practical information, off beat things to do and neighbourhoods to explore, tips, advice and recommendations based on my experiences, safety and transportation information.
- Reviews – I write detailed and long-form reviews for travel accommodations (unique and alternative accommodations like hostels, B&Bs, and guesthouses); products, gear and gadgets (travel-related, photography, blogging-related, natural and healthy, food) that I love and use in my life and travels; restaurants; activities; and local tours that I may take (like walking tours, food tours, street art tours, etc.). These reviews are always honest and are based on my personal experiences, regardless of whether or not I received the product/experience/accommodation for free.
- Recipes – I share recipes for my favourite simple, plant-based and gluten-free meals and snacks using primarily fresh, organic and whole ingredients.
- Resource Pages – I write resources pages for gear, websites, and services that I regularly use and love for travel research and planning, photography and blogging.
- Personal/Travel Stories, Reflections and Musings – I share stories, reflections, and musings about a variety of topics including things going on in my personal life; travel-related topics (culture, solo female travel, travel safety, realities of places, first impressions, etc.); blogging; stories from my travel adventures; and more.
- In-Depth Articles – I write detailed articles about a variety of topics including: culture, foreign cuisines, packing light, travel safety, solo female travel, my travel expenses, staying healthy and living naturally, debunking negative myths and misconceptions about places, travel research and planning, deep travel, responsible and socially conscious travel, minimalism and living simply, traveling like a local, exploring more and seeking adventures locally in your hometown, getting off the beaten path, and seeking meaningful experiences and authentic adventures abroad.
- Photo Essays – I share photography from my local explorations in Manitoba, Canada in addition to my travel adventures.
Who is This Blog For?
This blog is for independent, solo, and deep travelers/explorers who care about traveling responsibly and who enjoy wandering and exploring away from the main tourist path; for a variety of travelers from weekend explorers to part-time and full-time travelers; outdoor enthusiasts; and introverted adventurers, who love eating fresh and healthy and plant-based foods and meals, living simply and naturally while taking care of their body and the planet.
This blog is for those who choose to pursue experiences, adventures, freedom and fulfillment, both at home and abroad.
All of the photos on this blog are my own, unless otherwise noted.
I, Brittany Thiessen, am the legal owner of all photos and material on this website. The graphics and writing on this website are copyright protected and shall not be reprinted, published (partially or in full), modified, or used anywhere without my permission and written consent.
I only write about destinations and places that I have personally experienced and explored and I do not currently accept guest posts.
Some blog posts may contain affiliate links. What this means is that I will receive a small commission if you click on the specific link and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. If you are interested in purchasing a product or service that I recommend, you can support my blog by clicking on my featured link. Thank you in advance for your support!
I may occasionally accept a free experience, accommodation stay, or product in exchange for a review on my blog. I will only accept free products/experiences/accommodations that I would have used or purchased regardless of whether or not they were offered to me. My reviews will always be 100% honest, accurate and based on my personal experiences. In addition, I will provide a disclosure in the actual blog post.
I may also choose to write or feature sponsored posts on my blog. If or when this happens, I will carefully select the companies/brands that I choose to work with to ensure that their values are aligned with my own. I will only promote products and brands that I have personally experienced, use(d) and/or love(d) and ones that I would recommend regardless of a sponsorship.
All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only and the reading and use of this information is at your own risk and of your own free will. All opinions expressed on this blog are my own.
The accuracy and completeness of any information found on this site cannot be guaranteed 100% at any given time.
While I do make recommendations of places to explore, products to use, and accommodations to stay at, these recommendations are based solely on my personal experiences and I will not be held liable for any losses, injuries, or damages resulting from the use of this information.
I, Brittany Thiessen, reserve the right to change the focus of my blog or shut it down completely at my own discretion and without advance notice. I also reserve the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to: spam content, hateful/disrespectful/offensive speech, and the use of profanities.
© Brittany Thiessen 2016. All rights reserved.
I hope you enjoy my blog! If you have any questions or comments, you can contact me here or comment below. Remember to follow me on social media as well – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and sign up for my weekly email newsletter to receive updates and new posts from my blog, by clicking here. I would love to connect with you!